I have a little drifter in me...  

Posted by Aaron

Maybe it's because I can relate to them, but I have always had a place in my heart for drifters, homeless and less fortunate peoples of the world. They really are nice people, and I get extremely frustrated with people who treat them less than they really are...
All that being said, tonight my parents hit a homeless kid. He was in his early 20's, heading for California, and he ran out in the road to get his puppy. Unfortunately, it was dark and my dad was going 55, and the kid Frankie's head went through our windshield. Miraculously he lived, and the dog was OK too. He had for friends with him, all heading to Modesto California on the next train they could hop onto. After everything was cleaned up, mom and I took his friends over to the hospital to check on his friend. A lot of people probably thought we were crazy, picking up some drifters late at night in a dark parking lot, but they were the most thankful group I have ever seen. They were very worried about there friend, and I feel like we were doing what Jesus would have done. He wouldn't have cared that they were dirty, possibly had been drinking(or doing drugs), and didn't have the cleanest language. He still would have done all He could to help them.
It just makes me so mad when people, especially people professing to be Christians, have no sympathy for them. I have had very good friends who are homeless, and they are no different than you and me, but have run into hard times.
But to make a long story short, Frankie will be OK. He got busted up pretty bad, both legs broken, but he is alive and that is pretty incredible. Tomorrow, we'll go try to get him some new Carhartt overalls, because the paramedics cut off his very worn pair he was very fond of.
Anyways I am so thankful God allowed me into the lives of these young drifters, and hopefully will show Himself to them through our actions.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 10:16 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Aaron,
Your blog reminded of Matt 25:40 Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' Many Christians are simply afraid of these people. They don't trust God to provide protection favoring rather to "play it safe" and let someone else attend to the needy. Thanks to you and your family for setting a good biblical example.

Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave

October 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Post a Comment