Battle of the English(language)  

Posted by Aaron

I guess I get it from my Grandma, but I love English. Or to be more specific, I love literature. I could do without the diagramming sentences, spelling and all the other technicality's of writing, but I devour books. While in the past I've lent towards science fiction, fantasy and westerns, I've gotten very into Shakespeare. I also love short stories. What sparked that interest is Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. It is amazing to read those in the original text. What alot of people don't realize is that English has three periods. Old, middle and modern. Shakespeare and King James is (gasp!) Modern English! The Canterbury Tales and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and books from that period are middle English. It is greatly influenced by French, but surprisingly easy to read. Old English is hard to read. You'll find it in books and poems like Beowulf. It has alot of German mixed in with it.
Here is a expert from The Canterbury Tales, and if you remember that there are no silent e's, you'll find it is like a poem...
"In southwerk at the tabard as I lay
Redy to wenden on my pilgrymage
To caunterbury with ful devout corage,
At nyght was come into that hostelrye
Wel nyne and twenty in a compaignye,
Of sondry folk, by aventure yfalle
In felaweshipe, and pilgrimes were they alle,
That toward caunterbury wolden ryde."
Aside from English, my legs are killing me. I ran 15 miles in 2:10 yesterday, and my body won't let me forget it. I had alot of trouble getting out of bed this morning, but something I read sticks in my mind. Running never takes more than it gives. I will leave that open to interpretation.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Great post cuz... come check out my blog @ http://slingersplace.blogspot.com/

hope to see u this weekend

April 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I didn't read it in early English. I remember being surprised at some rather "adult" content of 14th century literature. Whew!

April 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Post a Comment